In the new Jira UI, how do I convert a story into a sub-task of another story?

Luca Naso September 3, 2018

I was used to converting a Story directly into a Sub-task of another existing story.

However, in the new Jira-UI, I only see how to convert ("move") a story into a task (or bug or epic), but not into a subtask.

Anybody knows how to do that now?

See screenshot:MoveJira.png

3 answers

2 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Martz March 4, 2019

To update this Question, today as of March 4th, 2019, you CAN convert a Task or any type of issue into a sub-task, just by clicking the 3 dots (...) icon to the far right of the issue title and selecting MOVE. In the Move issue screen, you must select the sub-task (you got to have it enabled or added as an issue type in the project settings) issue type and follow the prompts to finish the process. That's it.

Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2019

Thank you for updating :)

Luca Naso March 5, 2019

Hello @Martz

thanks for your answer. However, I have tried and I still do not see the "sub-task" target when converting an issue, i.e. when entering in the "move" menu.

Can you please share some screenshot?

Lori Mendoza March 13, 2019

Ditto.  In the Old View I can convert an issue into a sub-task or create a sub-task, but in the New View it only all allows you to Move it to a new project or new issue type, but not a sub-task.  

I was also looking to convert a sub-task into an issue and could not find a way to do that in the New View either.  Had to go to the Old View.

So while it's been painful, I have been trying to migrate myself to the New View, but without full functionality it's not a viable option.

Like Áron Bustya likes this
mahdi_hosseinali February 3, 2020

Atlassian deserves its own dedicated prize for doing stuff the most unnatural and as far from intuitive as possible. 

3 votes
Answer accepted
Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 3, 2018

Hi @Luca Naso

According to the documentation https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracorecloud/creating-issues-and-sub-tasks-765593815.htmlYou can't do this in the new issue view just yet

image.png

Luca Naso September 4, 2018

Hey@Fazila Ashraf, thank you for your prompt answer.

It's a pity that this feature is not available yet. I hope it will come asap.

Do you know if it is in roadmap?

Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 4, 2018

Hi @Luca Naso

I do not know but you can watch the confluence page - https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracorecloud/the-new-jira-issue-view-938040503.html to see what new changes they keep bringing to the new view   :)

Luca Naso September 4, 2018

Yep!

0 votes
DaveB October 20, 2023

As of 2023, there is a dedicated "Convert to SubTask" menu item in the "..." dropdown menu for any Jira issue. I'm running the Jira cloud version.

Jira subtask screen.png

Suggest an answer