• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • In the Jira logical model, it seems that Boards are subordinate to Projects. Is this correct? Boards and Projects also seem to have a many-to-many relationship, which is why I'm asking the question.

In the Jira logical model, it seems that Boards are subordinate to Projects. Is this correct? Boards and Projects also seem to have a many-to-many relationship, which is why I'm asking the question.

John Sanders September 22, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Permissions overview

In the Jira logical model, it seems that Boards are subordinate to Projects. Is this correct? Boards and Projects also seem to have a many-to-many relationship, which is why I'm asking the question.

2 answers

2 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2016

The JIRA Boards are just a presentation of the JIRA Project issues. One board can display issues from multiple projects hence many-to-many. Hence, It's just another way to view the JIRA issues on which you can do some agile stuff (in a SCRUM Board) and some Kanban stuff.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2016

I wouldn't say "subordinate", a board simply needs issues to work with, and issues live within projects.

The many:many relationship is correct although it's two-steps, via issues.  A board can include issues from many projects, and a project's issues could be shown on many boards.

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2016

Not exactly. Boards can be built from a filter, which might not even include a project in the query.

You are right that projects and boards have a many to many relation. But that's pretty much it. Boards are created for teams and can be created off any valid filters. It could draw issues from one project, multiple projects or even a subset of a given project.

Suggest an answer