In my JIRA board suddenly started seeing other teams sprints showing up? What could be the reasons? This is affecting the version reports.

Subhashish Lahiri February 28, 2016

I have been using JIRA for the projects and running sprints successfully. Suddenly I stated seeing some other projects sprints  showing up on my board. This is skewing the release burndown and version reports which is used effectively for  managing releases. 

What could be the possible reasons of the same.?

2 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 29, 2016

In a general sense, if you see a sprint from another project, it means that this sprint contains issues that match your board's filter. Discounting flaws in your own filter, here's what could have happened:

1. Another team (the "wrong" sprint owners) have a faulty filter which catches some of your issues
  2. Somebody interacting with your issues has manually set the Sprint field in the Edit screen to the wrong sprint. This mistake is sort of easily made.

Both scenarios can be verified by looking at the contents of the "wrong" sprint(s). Doing a JQL for Project = YourProject AND Sprint in ("WrongSprint1", "WrongSprint2"...) will show you all issues associated with the wrong sprint. From there, look at the history of individual issues to figure out what happened.

Once you've done your detective work, it's pretty much an issue of figuring out how to avoid that mistake in the future.

Subhashish Lahiri February 29, 2016

Thanks and  there  was  a cloning of a JIRA card and that  had  closed Wrong sprints in it which could not  be edited and hence was  showing up in our board.

6 votes
Georges Moubarak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 28, 2016

Hi @Subhashish Lahiri,

You need to check the board filter and make sure that it displays only one project. A common mistake is that board filters are based on an issue type and when a new project is created with same issue type its requests will be shown together. Or it could be that someone from the team have updated the board filter without knowing that this filter is used in a board.

Subhashish Lahiri February 28, 2016

Hi Georges

I rechecked the board filter and it is configured to only one project. So the issue should be something else.

Georges Moubarak
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 28, 2016

Hi @Subhashish Lahiri,

The other possibility then is that you have moved a request from one project to another. This will cause that the old sprint of the request will be available on the new kanban also.

Is this your case?

Jens Holze July 27, 2018

I have the same issue. I think its like you said. We have two projects, one we use for backlog organisation and one for the scrum project. We will merge both but still we have this behavior. We move the tickets between the two projects. 

So i will try to update the board filter to define the sprints. Even its not that flexible its fine because i don't change the sprint that often. 

Jens Holze July 27, 2018

Hm, i tried, but the problem is if you select the sprints you want to include, it will also affect the display of the backlog items. 

Suggest an answer