• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • In JIRA for bug tracking, can I layout the search screen by Product (as the parent) and drill down to individual Projects (as the child) under that Product? If so, how can I set that up?

In JIRA for bug tracking, can I layout the search screen by Product (as the parent) and drill down to individual Projects (as the child) under that Product? If so, how can I set that up?

Steve Albert March 9, 2017

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2017

No, that would be a completely new way of searching, and it's not something Atlassian have decided to do.

Steve Albert March 10, 2017

OK, thanks Nic. Do you know if there a plan to add this functionality in a future build? I've used JIRA in its current state with a company that has a lot of products and projects. The downside of not having this search functionality is things get messy very quickly and differentiating between product or customer because increasingly difficult as the projects build up. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 10, 2017

I don't believe it is - Atlassian put a lot into simple and advanced (raw JQL) search, I don't think they're going to add a third method.

I'm not sure it would work too well either - how does a project know it's for "Windows 10" at the moment?  Having said that, there may be some things we could do to help you, but it does depend on how you're storing the relationships you want to explore here.  Maybe if you could expand on that?

0 votes
Steve Albert March 9, 2017

This is for a company whose deployments are product based. So having the intial screen have a list of the products to first search by, then being able to select a single Product to drill down to the Customer Projects. For example, let's say the product is Windows 10. The JIRA user would select Windows 10 from a Product list. The next screen would then display all the Projects for Windows 10 i.e. SP1 Upgrade. 

Suggest an answer