Importing Project files

Sean O'Connell March 1, 2016

Hello,

My organization is looking to convert to the Portfolio tool for Project Management, and mostly we use MS Project. I've been trying to figure out the best way to get our Project files to create Projects in the JIRA toolset, but between the CSV maps failing out due to various issues and the JSON conversion failing to create the 'data bean' because an unrecognized field of "Project" is declared I'm srating to wonder if I don't need to take some programming courses.

Anyone have any recommendations on easier ways to get these files loaded?

2 answers

2 votes
Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2016

Hi Sean,

I was able to successfully migrate from MS-Project to JIRA in the past.
There is some work that needs to be done, but it is not complicated if you understand MS-Project and JIRA.

The main question that you should try to answer is how different ms project files map to JIRA projects. Both tools are conceptually different so this is where the main challenge resides.

After the structure is defined, you need to create the JIRA projects and their issue-types and fields should be configured, than the CSV import will work just fine.

Cheers,

Peter T

0 votes
Michael Partyka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2016

CSV file is the best solution here. JIRA has a great CSV file importer. You should have any problem with it unless You use improper file encoding.

Suggest an answer