Import issues into blank Jira project, how to keep issues # like in original

Viktor Moshkovoy February 24, 2017

Hi

I plan to import number of issues/tasks from Excel into our brand new Jira, but I need same index number, as that was part of another system, is this possible ? I understand that  if you create new Project01 and then import anything into it, you will get  P01-0001, P01-0002 etc...   Is it possible to set it to keep original numbering from excel ?

Tx

M

1 answer

1 vote
Volodymyr Krupach
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2017

There is no (at least I do not know) supported JIRA way to achieve this.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 24, 2017

Volodymyr, despite saying he's not sure, is, as usual, right.

It's not possible directly.  When you import, JIRA uses its standard sequencing - each new item gets the next number.

You can store your IDs in another field, but if you need to keep the absolute numbers, you are going to have to create an import that has all the numbers in it, even if you're going to delete them later.  For example, if you want to import x-3, x-4, x-6 and x-7, you'll need to start with an empty project and pad your import out with x-1, x-2, and x-5.

Suggest an answer