Implementing DR Server

JIRA Team Mailbox December 28, 2015

We are planning to implement a Disaster Recovery Server for our JIRA production server. We are planning to do it manually with going for Data Center.Our server is on Windows 2008.

We found some tools like robocopy to sync JIRA HOME with both servers, my question is how often should we run the sync command ? And suggest us good other tool to sync between servers.

Also our plan is to sync JIRA Home, Create DB Backup and re-indexing on DR server. Is this corerct ?

1 answer

0 votes
Jonas Andersson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 29, 2015

I tend to do hotcopies (i.e. not shutting down the server at all) by syncing the filesystem (which also contain the cache and indexes, so no real reason to reindex) dumping the database to a file, and run a last resync. The database dump of our JIRA is a couple of hundred mb, so this dump only takes 20 seconds. rsyncing the filesystem once more makes sure nothing gets lost.

To speed up the rsync i don't sync log directories at all.

I only do this to have a up to date mirror for testing plugins and changes before for instance upgrading all plugins and similar activities. I have seen countless Atlassian posts saying you should NOT sync the instances while running, but it always worked out well for me.

Atlassian are also selling a Clustered JIRA these days, which i assume work better than my ugly hack but i am not sure if JIRA core is supported in this setup, JIRA service desk and software is, i noticed.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events