• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • If I have a field that is used in multiple screens, am I able to make that field mandatory on one screen (or for one issue type), but not on another screen (or issue type)?

If I have a field that is used in multiple screens, am I able to make that field mandatory on one screen (or for one issue type), but not on another screen (or issue type)?

Julie Kulp June 10, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Specifying field behavior

Ask your question here...

4 answers

0 votes
Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2016

Hope you have created separate Field Configurations for Epic, Story, tasks and subtasks. Atleast, a separate field configuration for (Epic, Story) and (Task, subtask). Then you can make the field 'Required' in Epic,Story and make it 'Optional' in the other field configurations.

Or if you have a same Field Configuration for all issue types, you again have two options.

• Make it required using Field Behavior plugin. But I'm unsure about its availability in the Cloud instance.
  • Enable JIRA Suite Utility & make it required. But it works as mandatory only during the transitions. A user can remove it at anytime from the edit screen.

Please explain the scenario if my predicted situation is wrong.

0 votes
Julie Kulp June 10, 2016

Thank you both.  I want the field to be mandatory all of the time, but only for certain issue types within my project.  As I look at the configuration choices for Field Configurations, it looks like I can only toggle optional/mandatory for my project overall.  
More specifically, there is a custom field I want to be mandatory for EPICs and Stories, but not Tasks and Sub-Tasks.  Any thoughts? 

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2016

If you want the field to be required all the time, use Field Configurations.

If you want the field to be required during a transition, use a Validator – 

Use the Fields Required Validator shipped with the JIRA applications Suite Utilities add-on to make the field required for a transition to be completed.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-make-jira-applications-fields-required-in-a-workflow-transition-691011903.html

If you're on Confluence Cloud you may have to enable the JIRA Suite Utilities add-on. It's NOT enabled by default.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2016

Field configurations can be by issue type. Remember, required means required at creation.

Suggest an answer