If I change the project key in Jira, does it link the original ticket with the old key to the new key

Karen Bourdelais March 18, 2016

We have JIRA onDemand (v7.2.0-OD-03-014). I'd like to change the project key on one of the projects, but want to make sure that if someone tries to access a ticket with the old key value that it redirects to the new key value.

So for example, the original project has key 'old' and the new key value is 'new', if someone tries to access 'old-123' that it will link to the 'new-789' ticket

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Florian Kollin March 18, 2016

Hi Karen,
I just tried it on our server instance with JIRA 7 and it was no problem.
JIRA will build a new index, but in my case it still linked the old ticket number to the same ticket in a "new" project (with the renamed key).

You could just setup a test project just to make sure it is the same for you.

Cheers,
Florian 

1 vote
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2016

As stated in the official docs:

• Links will work, whether they are inside JIRA or from external sources. However, link aliases will not be updated — For example, if you have a link to an issue 'EXAMPLE-1' in the description of an issue, and you change the project key 'EXAMPLE' to 'DEMO', then the alias 'EXAMPLE-1' will not be updated to 'DEMO-1'. The link will still direct you to DEMO-1 though.

So, while the link text will not change, I understand that the link will still redirect you to the correct issue.

Deleted user August 31, 2018

What do you mean by "alias"?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events