Ideas for check which JIRA project is not in use from long time

Pawel Wysocki October 20, 2015

Hi all,

Question for JIRA admins around the world:
How you manage to check which of your JIRA projects are in used?

I was thinking about some DB query or script. We have a lot of project (around 1200 right now) - (it's easy to request for new one, hard to request a deletion).
We would like to list all the projects with no new tickets, no updates from one year from now.

Cheers
Pawel 

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2015

I used to use a dedicated report for this, but it was a long time ago.  JIRA doesn't directly track "project create" or "project last used" dates (well, the audit log traps created projects now, but that can be cleared and often doesn't go back far enough)

So I used a hacked-together report which gave me the project ID (database id, not key), and last issue number allocated with its updated date.   The project ID lets you put them in order of creation, and the last issue updated usually gives you the last time the project was used.  This was ok for me, because we were looking at "empty" (last issue number very low or not even there) or "over a year old" (it's rare that an active project will have updates but no new issues) 

It could be more clever - ideally it should have read "earliest created date" and "latest issue updated date", but I was in a rush and never had time to do it better.

To do it in sql, read the project table for the raw project data (highest issue number and key), then you should be able to construct "find oldest created and newest updated" queries on to jiraissue.

Suggest an answer