I would like to know many issue type and custom fields affect the performance of JIRA .

JongBum Lee April 11, 2016

Dear all.

Current JIRA

Number of Issue : about 100,000

Number of IssueType : 70

Number of customfield : about 1,000

Current Issue search & Dashboard Gadget very slow.

so, I would like to know many issue type and custom fields affect the performance of JIRA .

Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2016

We all would, but there's no simple formula for it. 

Performance in some areas decreases as you have more issues.  I wouldn't worry about your issue type numbers.  You have a stupid number of custom fields, but even that's not a massive problem - they don't have a huge effect.

You need to be looking more at the number of active users and how they're using the system.  Permissions are far more important than issue types and custom fields.  When it comes to searching (and hence gadgets), the permissions, the disk you have the index on, the number of active users and general complexity are the things you need to look at first.

1 vote
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2016

What's your JIRA version? What's the specs of your hardware? You have given very limited information so it's hard to guess.

I agree with Nic that your custom field count is way too many. Read Q9 on this Atlassian Blog (http://blogs.atlassian.com/2015/05/webinar-recap-five-secrets-jira-performance-scale/).

Q9. Are the number of issues the largest impact on JIRA’s performance?

A9: The number of issues is not actually what has the largest impact on performance in JIRA, especially since 5.1. The amount of custom fields would be an example of something that has a larger effect on performance. For additional details please refer to our scaling JIRA documentation.

Suggest an answer