I want to see forecast burndown for the sprint based on ticket due date. How do I do this?

David Yates April 14, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Configuring Estimation and Tracking

The report I have currently shows the ideal burndown (diagonal line left to right) but I wan to show the burndown forecast based on ticket due date to provide a more meaningful view of whether we are tracking to forecast.

1 answer

0 votes
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2016

The burndown ideal is based on the end date of your sprint. If you want a burndown based on a single issue, it's not a sprint burndown anymore, and it doesn't belong in sprint reports. You will not be able to get that report, at least not with Agile.

I'd look to charting and reports plugins for issue-level reports like that.

David Yates April 15, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to reply Nicolas. It is not the burndown on a single issue I want to track though, but the sprint burndown across all issues. The report I have been given correctly tracks my actual burndown but the forecast on the same chart is simply the ideal. What I want to see is the forecast burndown over the sprint based on the due dates within the tickets. The burndown report would then be much more useful in tracking actual to expected across the sprint..

Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2016

This still is making no sense to me, because using due dates inside a sprint is a significant deviation from the scrum methodology.

You'd like the ideal line to be a sort of jagged staircase-shaped thing that drops after each due date? Then no, the burndown charts can't show that. You need to look elsewhere.

David Yates April 18, 2016

Cheers Nicolas. It's a shame this isn't possible as I would find it useful and I'm not sure it goes against scrum methodology. We may have tickets with dependencies in the same sprint; these could be delivery dependencies or resource dependencies and tracking progress against due dates on the tickets helps us protect those dependencies. Deviation of actual from forecast burndown is a good barometer of potential issues before we get to the end of the sprint.

Like Megan Densley likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events