• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • I want the transition of status from New state to Open state, once I tag an issue with a current or future sprint as I dont want the new status to be part of agile board.

I want the transition of status from New state to Open state, once I tag an issue with a current or future sprint as I dont want the new status to be part of agile board.

Harvinder Singh January 24, 2017

1 answer

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2017
Harvinder Singh January 24, 2017

Hello Pulgar,

But this doesn't help in change of state automatically from New to Open Status(when moving from backlog), though we are keeping New and Open State in the same column on the Scrum board.

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2017

I'm not sure if I am understanding what you would like to achieve.

May you reword what you would like to achieve as if I were a child?

Harvinder Singh January 25, 2017

The new state is used at the time of creation of issue type(say story) and is added in the backlog. The next step is adding estimates and moving the issues in planned state(open state) of the scrum board. If in scrum board I keep two states (New and Open) under Planned status column and suppose next status column is in progress. The transition will happen from New to in progress and not from Open to In progress.

My requirement is transition from Backlog to scrum board with statuses New to open automatically.

I hope this clarifies the situation...

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 25, 2017

Ok, that's not doable out of the box in a Scrum board.

You could develop your own solution by making calls to the JIRA API, or possibly by using an addon like ScriptRunner for automating that action for you.

Kanban's backlog works like you would like it to, once the New status is mapped to the backlog, but then it doesn't add the issue to any sprints on drag & dropping it from the backlog to the first status mapped to a column.

Another not perfect workaround would be executing this query in the Issue Navigator:

Sprint in (openSprints(), futureSprints()) AND status = New

and perform a bulk-change operation to move all of them to transition all returned issues at once from New to Open.

If you save that query into a filter, you can easily repeat this process in a quicker manner.

Hope it helps.

Suggest an answer