I've upgraded my JIRA Core to 8.0.2 and having locale issues

Avorna May 2, 2019

I've upgraded my JIRA Core to 8.0.2 from 7.x and it gave me PostgreSQL locale error.

Your postgres72 database is currently using an unsupported collation: en_US.UTF-8. You should change this to a supported collation:

• POSIX.UTF-8
  • C.UTF-8
  • C
  • POSIX

First, I'm using PostgreSQL 9.6, not 7.2. Second I have to support UTF-8. But when I ask my computer for available locales; even it has C and POSIX, it does not have UTF-8 versions. BTW my OS is CentOS 7.

I'm trying to find a way to add C.UTF-8 to my OS but couldn't yet. Maybe you can help.

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2019

Yeah. The postgres72 thing is an artifact from the old days. Don't let that send you in the wrong direction.

You do need to fix the data collation, though. You can have problems if it is wrong.  It's a relatively easy problem to fix, thankfully. This doc describes a method that involves exporting your data as XML, setting up a new postgres instance correctly and then importing the XML data back in. Assuming you have a relatively small amount of data, this is a sensible method and the least risky way to solve the problem. There are also a number of ways to correct this manually in the database. (google for "postgres alter table collation") As always, test this first in a non-production environment, validate that things work properly and then follow the same procedure in production.  

Suggest an answer