I need to trim down necessary fill in fields on sub-task generation screen.

Miranda Gloden October 24, 2016

Our subtask process is as involved as creating a new story. No data is autopopulated in the create a subtask or create a bug screens like TPAs, epics, components, sign offs, etc. We are going to start tracking work effort and creating the subtask is a huge hinderence. I have to put in a request with our system admin and I would like to have the steps to do this included with the ticket to help speed along this actually being done. I want to streamline the process so I only need to enter Title, assignee, description, and work effort when creating a sub-task or a linked bug. Basically if I am in a story and click create a subtask, I'd like the important info autopopulated on the backend, only new necessary fields shown to the user to be filled out and on Create show the new subtask in the subtasks section on the story. 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 24, 2016

There's two approaches to this

First, the harder, uglier, way - inject javascript into the "create subtask" screens in such a way that it pre-fills the sub-task fields.  JIRA does not lend itself to doing this, but I think it can be done (I avoid javascript tricks)

Second, the easier way - only place the fields you want the user to fill in on the "create subtask" screens and then find/write a post-function that can set the others and put it on the "create" transition

I think you need the second one, that will keep it really simple for the users.  I'd use the Script-runner add-on, but there are other add-ons which can "copy data from parent issue fields"

Suggest an answer