I need to import stories from Assembla and defects from Redmine. Best practise?

Jonathan Ross November 9, 2016

My company has separate apps for Agile stories (Assembla) and our bugs (Redmine).

We want to move everything into JIra cloud. So far I have created a CSV from Assembla.

What is the way to setup a project like this built on SCRUM?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2016

Without knowing the setup of those two systems, or the details of how you want to use it, I can't tell you much.

But, I would probably set up a new Scrum project in JIRA Software, and ensure it has Stories and Bugs, plus any other issue types you want to use later.

You may want to set up more than one project too - if you have multiple products or some way that you'd like to break up your data and/or users.

Once set up, you should be able to import your Assembla CSV, although I would add an extra column to it with the ehading "issue type" and pre-fill it on every line with "story".  You should be able to do something similar with redmine data (there is a redmine importer in JIRA, but I've not used it for years and I don't know if Cloud has it)

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2016

Hi Nic. I confirm that Redmine is also available on Cloud for importing issues:

https://<YOURS>.atlassian.net/secure/admin/ExternalImport1.jspa

Cheers

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2016

The URL to Redmine importer is:

https://<YOURS>.atlassian.net/secure/admin/RedmineSetupPage!default.jspa?externalSystem=com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-importers-redmine-plugin:redmineTrackerImporter

Thank you Nic & Ignacio. I'll get cracking on setting up a new Scrum project. I've tested each importer individually and see how they work. Fun and challenging times.

Ultimately my plan is to create a hierarchical project where stories are at the top with test cases connected by story and the story + testcase linked to defects discovered

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2016
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2016

Yes, JIRA doesn't lend itself to the handling of test cases, so I'd suggest a look at Zephyr too.

Thanks, we have Teststuff (inherited) I had been looking at Testrail but I'll check out Zephyr too, thanks.

Suggest an answer