I'm getting an "unsupported field encountered: binary" error when trying to restore my JIRA backup?

Geoff Wilson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2016

(SOLVED BELOW.   I just wanted the community to be aware as it took me a full day in support to find out).

In JIRA, I was trying to Restore one of my Backups and I was getting the error:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unsupported field encountered: binary

None of my backups from the past 2 weeks were able to be imported with Restore Backups as I kept seeing this error. 

2 answers

2 votes
Geoff Wilson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2016

After talking to Atlassian Support for a full day to try to get them to find out what values in my backup XMLs are causing problems, they found this XPORTER-681 issue where the add-on was setting a column value as Binary which JIRA does not support. 

I tried to replace binary with string but that failed, so eventually I just removed all of my Xporter table configurations from the activeobjects.XML backup file, re-zipped it up, and the restore worked fine. 

However, note that Xporter will not work immediately after this as I had to remove all of those table values, so I'm just reinstalling it.

Allegedly, from that bug report it looks like it was fixed in 4.0.4 but I was still using 4.0.4, so maybe I'm reading it wrong and it's fixed in the more current release.

Rui Rodrigues
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 4, 2016

Hi Geoff,

Is it fixed now?

Thanks.

Rui.

Radek Karaffa April 10, 2016

Big thanks for your investigation. Today I lost half-day for this problem. 

I have Xporter 4.1.1, upgrade not fixed this bug, problematic field was not removed.After remove Xporter tables from backup JIRA restored fine. 

I was try install Xporter back, config it, add templates and create a few exports. After that, none "binary" exists in Xporter tables in new backup of Jira.

0 votes
Jean-François FORGET November 2, 2016

Hi,

I get something similar. I want to import project from JIRA cloud backup to JIRA server but i get a non explicit error like this:

There was a problem with the SAX parsing of the file 'my_jira_backup_file.zip' when performing a project import.
org.xml.sax.SAXException: Unrecognised AO Data Type
        at com.atlassian.jira.imports.project.ao.handler.ChainedAoSaxHandler.endNestedElement(ChainedAoSaxHandler.java:231)
        at com.atlassian.jira.imports.project.ao.handler.ChainedAoSaxHandler.endElement(ChainedAoSaxHandler.java:195)
        at com.atlassian.jira.imports.project.ao.handler.ChainedAoSaxHandler.endElement(ChainedAoSaxHandler.java:148)
etc...

So i dedide to install a fresh test JIRA server instance to last version (7.2.4) to try restoring my cloud backup. Then i got the same message as you describe.

I just removed the line with <binary>binary information</binary> located at the end of the activeobjects.xml file in the JIRA cloud backup.

It works and i can import a project from the JIRA cloud backup to my runing JIRA server instance!

Hope it help...

Yusuf Tran May 15, 2018

this no longer works unfortunately, after deleting those <binary> lines (2) I get the following:

There was a problem restoring ActiveObjects data for the <unknown plugin> plugin. Importing table AO_3C6513_XPORTER_SECURITY failed. Please check the log for details.

Like Alexandr Krylov likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events