I have no more admin access to JIRA, the only enabed admin account comes from Crowd

Alard Roebroeck April 11, 2018

I want to upgrade my JIRA 6.1.3 local hosted server instance to the newest version. However, before proceeding with the upgrade, I need to solve an issue with administration of the instance. I had it set up, such that authentication happens through Crowd. The only account with admin rights currently enabled is authenticated by Crowd, i.e. I disabled the local admin account. After a necessary change in IP for the VM that runs JIRA and Crowd (run on same VM), all Crowd accounts can log in for normal use, including the Crowd admin account. However, when entering the admin sections of JIRA, at re-authentication for admin with the Crowd admin account, an error occurs, see partial dump below. This effectively leaves me locked out of JIRA admin to update license or anything else. How to resolve this deadlock?

com.atlassian.crowd.exception.runtime.OperationFailedException
	at com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.core.CrowdServiceImpl.convertOperationFailedException(CrowdServiceImpl.java:915)
	at com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.core.CrowdServiceImpl.authenticate(CrowdServiceImpl.java:80)
	at com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.core.DelegatingCrowdService.authenticate(DelegatingCrowdService.java:35)
	at com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.core.FilteredCrowdServiceImpl.authenticate(FilteredCrowdServiceImpl.java:51)
	at com.atlassian.jira.security.login.LoginManagerImpl$InternalStaticDependencies.authenticate(LoginManagerImpl.java:417)
	at com.atlassian.jira.security.login.LoginManagerImpl.authenticateWithoutElevatedCheck(LoginManagerImpl.java:213)
	at com.atlassian.jira.web.action.admin.WebSudoAuthenticate.doValidation(WebSudoAuthenticate.java:131)
	at webwork.action.ActionSupport.validate(ActionSupport.java:391)
	at webwork.action.ActionSupport.execute(ActionSupport.java:162)
	at com.atlassian.jira.action.JiraActionSupport.execute(JiraActionSupport.java:87)
	at webwork.interceptor.DefaultInterceptorChain.proceed(DefaultInterceptorChain.java:39)
	at webwork.interceptor.NestedInterceptorChain.proceed(NestedInterceptorChain.java:31)
	at webwork.interceptor.ChainedInterceptor.intercept(ChainedInterceptor.java:16)
	at webwork.interceptor.DefaultInterceptorChain.proceed(DefaultInterceptorChain.java:35)
	at webwork.dispatcher.GenericDispatcher.executeAction(GenericDispatcher.java:225)
	at webwork.dispatcher.GenericDispatcher.executeAction(GenericDispatcher.java:154)
	at com.atlassian.jira.web.dispatcher.JiraWebworkActionDispatcher.service(JiraWebworkActionDispatcher.java:152)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:722)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:305)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)
	at com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.steps.ChainedFilterStepRunner.doFilter(ChainedFilterStepRunner.java:87)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)
	at com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.XContentTypeOptionsNoSniffFilter.doFilter(XContentTypeOptionsNoSniffFilter.java:22)
	[...]

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2018

Hi Alard,

you can try to disable the secure adminstrator sessions in the jira.config.properties:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/configuring-secure-administrator-sessions-802593160.html

Alard Roebroeck April 11, 2018

Hi Thomas,

Thanks. Creating  jira.config.properties in the JIRA home directory with the line 

jira.websudo.is.disabled = true

and restarting JIRA resolved the admin lock-out issue for me.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2018

You're welcome, @Alard Roebroeck

If you think, your question is answered, please accept the answer with the check marker.

Other users with similar questions can find answered questions more easy with such a marker.

Thank you

Suggest an answer