I have inherited a Jira Cloud instance that is messed up....

Sherri Netherby-Cox January 21, 2016

Should I set up a second instance of Jira cloud and try to do a csv import of the issues i care about or is there a way to wipe the current env and return all to default values?  (I would need to keep some issues no matter which choice I make)

What do folks recommend doing in a case like mine?

3 answers

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2016

I've read of cases where bad designed workflows has had an impact even on JQL results consistency.

In example, have a look at symptom 2 described here.

If you think it's a mess and assess that the previous admin didn't perform correctly, you probably have not detected all mistakes made.

So, to be on the safe side, I would chose from one of the following options:

1. export relevant issues and reset your Atlassian Cloud instance to the original default settings including removal of all data, or
  2. use a new JIRA Cloud instance, even manually creating a new issue on the new instance for each one in the old instance, filling just a description that summarizes the issue, if it has had any advancements (it would be just a copy + paste on an issue without comments). It will take more time to import them than through a csv import but, again, you ensure you are on the safe side:

I've seen some inconsistencies might arise when importing a csv too, like custom statuses that didn't exist on the new instance lacking a statusCategory, which is a mandatory field on the creation of a new status, and a convenient property usable on your JQL to filter issues in regard to these possible values: "To Do", "In Progress" or "Done".

Best of luck!

Sherri Netherby-Cox January 27, 2016

Hi Ignacio,

Thanks so much for your response....I have a couple of questions.  So there is no way to do the reset myself?  When they say "all data" does  that mean Confluence data and Crowd data?  I just need the JIRA bits reset.

Thanks again

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2016

You cannot do it yourself, you have to contact Atlassian Support.

I guess they can reset just your JIRA instance, while keeping the remaining apps intact.

Ask them directly in this regard, as they are the only ones with the good and updated info about this.

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 21, 2016

Is that FUBARred? It really depends on how messed up it is based on your preference smile

Hi Thanks for replying smile   its really really bad :/

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 21, 2016

If it is JIRA Cloud, it is probably not as messed up as you think! Atleast you will not have all the customizations that you will find in a server instance.

CSV imports can work but critical information like "change history" is lost when you do that. I will recommend doing the cleanup, provided you have enough admin experience to do that.

Hi There smile   Thanks for replying - yes it really is that messed up :/   the previous admin did some really  weird stuff to workflows, changed stuff that just should never ever be messed with.  

I can do without the change history as out of all of the projects there are really only 2 that were ever used and kept up and are in active use.  The two projects don't have sprints or anything.  I just feel like I have already spent way too much time trying to unravel his mess and would just like to start from a known standard config and proceed from that point.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events