I have a separate add-on for Jira 6 and Jira 7, how is this handled in Jira? As we know people will be searching for add-on from the version they are using. be searching in Atlassian marketplace by Add-On name,

Nandakumar August 1, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Developer Documentation: Add-on approval guidelines

I have a separate add-on for Jira 6 and Jira 7, how is this handled in JIRA Atlassian marketplace? As we know people will be searching for add-on from the JIRA version they are using.

2 answers

2 votes
Petar Petrov (Appfire)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 1, 2016

Use one marketplace listing but different versions and a different build artifact for each version - prefix or suffix the version of the add-on with some string depending on the target JIRA major version - e.g. 6/7 - youradd-on-1.1.1-6.jar and youradd-on-1.1.1-7.jar).

Generally, I wouldn't recommend this though - there will always be confused users who will install the wrong version. Also take into account all the complications from building and maintaining different source code trees for the two major JIRA versions. For our add-ons we have written a JIRA cross-version compatibility library which allows us to release a single build artifact for all JIRA versions and at runtime we resolve the proper implementation.

0 votes
wadey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 5, 2016

Hi @Nandakumar, I'm struggling to settle on the right advice for you given some of the context around your question is a bit light. Generally we and our users see terminology around "separate add-ons" as entirely separate products. However, the same product can certainly be delivered as different versions where certain versions are compatible only with specific ranges of JIRA and many add-on developers do this. 

If you need specific help please feel free to log a support request for advice and we'll be happy to discuss further around your specific needs: https://developer.atlassian.com/help#requests

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events