• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • I have a JIRA project that will act as a master template for future projects (future projects have almost the same tasks, sub-tasks, assignees, etc.) What is the best way to export this project, and then re-import multiple times under different epics?

I have a JIRA project that will act as a master template for future projects (future projects have almost the same tasks, sub-tasks, assignees, etc.) What is the best way to export this project, and then re-import multiple times under different epics?

Aritzia Test February 17, 2016

I would like to preserve all the attachments, descriptions etc. during the re-imports.  Can anybody advise on the best method for this?

1 answer

0 votes
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2016

So basically, what you have is a bunch of issues you'd like to clone in bulk. No need to export/import stuff.

1. Get the Bulk Clone plugin. It's not very expensive.
  2. Set up you template project which contains your default issues and assignees.
  3. After you've set up your future project, clone the issues and bulk move them to the new project (I believe the Pro version of the plugin lets you do the Bulk Move in the same operation), or Bulk Edit to assign those to your new Epic.

So yeah, a little money invested up front, but you might save a load of time.

Aritzia Test February 18, 2016

Awesome, I will look into this Bulk Clone solution, thanks for the help!

Aritzia Test February 19, 2016

Darn.  It looks like our version of JIRA 7.2.0-OD-01-031 doesn't support the Bulk Clone plug-in.  Are there any comparable add-ons that are supported by this version?  

Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2016

If you're using JIRA cloud (which I think is the case based on the version you specified) then I think there's no solution that will help you as the Cloud API has limitted functionality compared to the on-prem JIRA

Suggest an answer