I don't like agile, won't use agile; of what use it this product to me?

Rick Burchett July 28, 2016

I don't like agile, won't use agile; of what use it this product to me?

2 answers

1 vote
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 28, 2016

This is a community question and answer forum. I don't think many people will try to sell you a product here.

The JIRA Software application has purpose-built features that can be used for Agile development. These are facilitated through the Scrum or Kanban boards. However, JIRA Software doesn't attempt to enforce Agile methodology, it simply provides an interface that correlates to objectives of Agile methodology.

In addition to the rapidboards (which show a scope of issues in an easy-to-read card format) JIRA Software provides many integrations with development platforms and tools such as build and continuous integration tools, repo and version control tools, and code review tools. Furthermore it has a variety of add-ons that provide a manual test framework. Since JIRA is an event driven system, extending functionality to external tools is remarkably simple. JIRA provides an API, so again integration points are nearly limitless. JIRA also provides mechanisms to perform release management within the tool, integrated to the development and backlog items.

The JIRA Platform is highly flexible and configurable. The system is pluggable and allows for nearly any module to be overridden, replaced, or extended. Out of the box, the JIRA Platform can model most business processes through a series of flows and fieldsets. This platform can easily provide a system for waterfall development, test-driven development, or acceptance-test based development.

I have the pleasure of working with a nearly limitless number of teams who all use JIRA for their own specific processes and tools. I have never had a single customer that is the same as another. These teams are more often agile teams but I have worked with several hardware and firmware developers whose process is strictly waterfall. I've implemented strict review processes for content development teams.

JIRA Software is definitely built on the premise of Agile development but you can easily use the tool to model any form of process.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 28, 2016

For the record, the JIRA Agile add-on has been reworked into the new JIRA Software application, part of a suite of integrations.

0 votes
Yogesh Mude[Jira]
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 28, 2016

Hi @Rick Burchett

If you don't like Agile and won't use it then you go for "JIra Software". 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2016

No, that's the opposite - you mean "if you don't use Agile, then do NOT use JIRA Software".  Take a look at Service Desk if that appeals, or just use JIRA Core, as per Steven's answer.

Suggest an answer