I do not understand how time estimates and story points work (I'm new to Jira)

Piotr Kaczor March 3, 2016

Hi,

I've just registered for a free trial to JIRA and I have some doubts if this is good for me since I've always worked with manual time estimation (in hours or days) for each task that I assumed that would be in project.

Now it's time to try JIRA.

Let's assume that I have 1 week long sprint estimated for 20 story points. Sprint contains stories with sub-tasks and tasks. Stories and tasks do have Story Point estimates.

Let's assume that I have 2 developers on team assigned to things that are included in sprint.

My questions are:

1. How can I see how many hours took to complete each sprint?
  2. How can I estimate how many story points I can include in next sprint?
  3. How can I see in the middle of week if team will deliver everything until end of sprint?
  4. How can I see what is current date of project delivering basing on current story points burn rate and remaining story points in backlog?
  5. On "Log work" dialog there is ability to set also remaining estimate but that estimate is always unset. Who and when has to set this estimate? Developer at his first logging of work to this task? Isn't that almost the same as estimation of story points but in different unit? Isn't that redundant?
  6. I tried to add remaining estimate manually while logging work to tasks for different team members in such way that they would be busy in 100% of their time. So 40hrs for Member1 and 40hrs for Member2. I assumed that JIRA would tell me that remaining work time of current sprint would be "1 week" since 80hrs divided to 2 members each with tasks for 40hrs would give us 5 work days. Unfortunately JIRA counted that as 2 weeks (like everything would be assigned to one developer, not two). Am I not understanding idea behind this? This surely must be easier that it seems for me at first glance! smile

Thank you for any help!

2 answers

0 votes
Piotr Kaczor March 4, 2016

I've read that but it didn't answer my questions sad

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2016

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events