• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • I am using JIRA 6.3.1 on one server instance. Now i want to move this instance to other JIRA instance which is using 7.1.1 version. Can i move 6.3.1 instance to 7.1.1 directly? or Do i need to first upgrade my 6.3.1 to 7.1.1 and then do instance migration

I am using JIRA 6.3.1 on one server instance. Now i want to move this instance to other JIRA instance which is using 7.1.1 version. Can i move 6.3.1 instance to 7.1.1 directly? or Do i need to first upgrade my 6.3.1 to 7.1.1 and then do instance migration

namit11narang January 17, 2017

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Bosman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2017

Hi Namit,

Best thing you can do is upgrade JIRA 6 to 7.1.1 first. Then create an export and import it in JIRA 7.1.1.

If you don't have the exact same version number in both instances you will receive an error and you wont be able to proceed. You could change the versions in the export text files but there is always a chance it will fuck up the JIRA 7.1.1. or not all information gets imported. So i don't recommend it. 

Regards

Dave

namit11narang January 17, 2017

Thanks Dave for your input.

Will upgrade from 6.3 to 7.1 be straight forward? I mean can we directly migrate from 6.3 to 7.1?

Dave Bosman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2017

I looked it up to be sure

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/skipping-major-versions-when-upgrading-jira-applications-802592265.html

According to this page:

If you plan to upgrade from JIRA and JIRA Agile less than 6.4.x and 6.3.5 respectively, you must upgrade to JIRA Software 7.0 before upgrading to JIRA Software 7.1.

So in your case you should upgrade to version 7.0 first and then to 7.1.1

Suggest an answer