• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • I am trying to delete a jira group but it gives me this error message "You do not have permission to remove this group from all the directories in which it occurs". I am a system administrator on jira

I am trying to delete a jira group but it gives me this error message "You do not have permission to remove this group from all the directories in which it occurs". I am a system administrator on jira

luvo September 6, 2016

I am trying to delete a jira group but it gives me this error message "You do not have permission to remove this group from all the directories in which it occurs". I am a system administrator on jira

2 answers

0 votes
JiraYo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2019

This happened to me with the group "domain users"

I think at some point in jira i had set up this group manually, instead of it being synced from the domain.

because basically, the group is empty (no  members) but it probably is syncing from AD so i cant delete it. I just wanted to delete and have the system re-add the group, which will hopefully unbreak it.

If i dont fix it, i cant use domain users. no user has domain users group on their account yet they all should have it. will post back when i figure out how to delete it or force a sync on it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2019

I am a bit confused - you say "at some point in jira i had set up this group manually, instead of it being synced from the domain." then " but it probably is syncing from AD"

I think we need to start by establishing where the group is coming from - is it AD or internal (or a third directory)?

JiraYo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2019

Oh the SAML plugin people (resolution.de) determined that this is a bug with domain users. It is being added correctly, but has no users. My guess was that it was added manually, but when i disabled the saml SSO integration, the group disappeared, proving that sync was working. So I kinda forgot about this as it was just evidence of the problem not the problem itself.

is actually a bug from 2006 (LOL 13 years...) that affects jira as well as confluence.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-6729

sorry i forgot to update this thread with that info.

Bina Todi September 30, 2019

very helpful answer! Thanks.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2016

The problem is exactly what it says it is.  You have a user directory which you do not have access to write to.  JIRA admin grants you JIRA admin, it doesn't grant you rights to edit the content of external directories unless you explicitly set it to.

Go to admin -> user directories, I suspect you'll find at least one is read-only.  Even if it's not that, then the account used to connect JIRA to it does not have permissions in the directory.

Ulrich Hobelmann [catworkx]
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 7, 2017

I'm having the same problem, but the other directories are read-only with local groups.

So why would Jira even NEED to remove the group from those directories, and why would it fail?

Now I cannot remove the group at all, very strange.

Suggest an answer