I am not able to upload sub-tasks.

Akash Dutta January 28, 2020

I am trying to upload a list of stories and sub-tasks. But, I am not able to upload the sub-tasks, since I do not have the parent ID for the sub-tasks.

How do I get the parent ID for the sub-tasks? The parent tasks are not available in JIRA. They are uploaded along with the sub-tasks.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2020

There's a trick to this.  The parent ID in your CSV file is not the Jira parent id, it is a simple convenience for tying sub-tasks to parents.  It won't actually be imported.

You must be careful with the order.  Make sure your parent issues are higher in the file than their children. 

So, let's say you have a really basic import of four issues, with the following summaries:

• Parent 1
  • Child 1 of parent-1
  • Child 2 of parent-1
  • Parent 2
  • Child 1 of parent-2

Your csv should, at its most simple, could read

1. ,1,Parent 1
  2. ,1,Child1 1 of parent-1
  3. ,3,Parent 2
  4. ,3,Child 1 of parent-2
  5. ,1,Child 2 of parent-1

Note that I've used 1-5 as individual issue keys in the file.  They will not be imported.  Where that matters is the second column - note that the children of parent 1 have a 1 next to them, because that is the ID of Parent 1 (in my CSV, not Jira), and the child of parent 2 has a 3, as that's the id of that issue.

Problem - I cannot remember if you should leave column 2 empty for issue-level tasks

Akash Dutta January 28, 2020

Hi Nic,

Thank you for the solution. I tried implementing it, but it still throws an error.

The error message reads as, "Unable to find a valid Parent ID for sub-task"

Regards,

Akash

Suggest an answer