I added columns to my sprint board but Jira will only let me move my tasks to the default columns

JamilaJ September 24, 2018

I configured my board so that I had column titles that better reflected my team's work flow however when I attempt to move my tasks, I am only allowed to move them into the preset columns established within the global settings. Please help. Thanks!

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 24, 2018

A board is a view of issues, it does not configure them or tell them how to behave.

Columns are a view of one or more status, which comes from the workflow.  Adding a column with no status is going to do nothing, so you need to map the underlying status into the columns. 

Assuming you've done that, the columns now represent the status of the issues, but the other part of the workflow (process) is how you change the status.  Dragging between columns is a workflow transition.

So, the reason you can't drag between two columns could be one or more of:

• The column has no status mapped into it
  • There is no transition in the workflow from the current status to a status in the target column
  • There are transitions, but there are "conditions" on them that disallow you from using them

Talk to your admins, they should explain what your workflow looks like and help you add or amend transitions and status, or make you match conditions.

JamilaJ October 2, 2018

Thank you! I sent a support ticket to my ADMIN with your info. 

1 vote
Burak Kocak September 24, 2018

Hi @JamilaJ , while configuring the columns you should map statuses to columns. If your workflow doesn’t have this colums, you should change the workflow first or ask for administrator. 

JamilaJ October 2, 2018

Thank you! 

Suggest an answer