How to use one JIRA space to manage multiple teams?

Sam March 2, 2016

Hello there! I am a product manager who is trying to switch my team from Rally to JIRA and I'm having some issues with the initial configuration of our space. 

My enterprise only allows my team to have one shared space.

This is the setup I'm trying to achieve:

• A strategy board for myself where I can create stories. I don't need an actual kanban board but I need to be able to create a backlog of stories and be able to move them to sprints in the following boards:
  • A development board where we can have the current sprint in flight for my development team and queue up stories for future sprints 
  • A design board for my designers to be able to manage their work on a kanban board – they don't necessarily operate in sprints
  • An analytics board for my analytics team to be able to manage their work on a kanban board – they don't necessarily operate in sprints either

I'm having a lot of issues in creating multiple boards; basically, I want my strategy board to be a place where I can see everything and then have the other three boards only see stories that are applicable to those teams.

I'd truly appreciate the help, thank you!

1 answer

4 votes
Georges Moubarak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2016

Hi Sam,

This pretty straight forward. Your strategy board is a kanban board where it holds all other projects.

What are the issues you are facing?

Sam March 2, 2016

Hey, thanks for the quick reply, really appreciate it!

I've set it up with separate boards because I have different column configurations, namely the development vs. design/analytics boards:

http://i.imgur.com/AsIChKa.png is how I'd like to configure the development board

http://i.imgur.com/JHcHfOv.png is how I'd like to configure the design board

My enterprise doesn't allow me to create statuses so unfortunately I'm stuck with what I've got so I was planing on just using the design board configuration for the analytics board

Georges Moubarak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2016

Now you need to create a board, your strategy board, which contains basically Open, In progress, Done, that will will contain all the statuses from the boards and you can use different card colours or quick filters to identify the tasks for each team.

Suggest an answer