How to upgrade Jira 6.4.7 to latest Jira Software

Tummala August 1, 2016

Any recommendation?

1 answer

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 1, 2016

Hey Tummala!

As a first step, read through the documentation here and follow the upgrade process that matches your infrastructure.

Also, check out this Reddit thread.  Specifically the comments regarding plugin updates, etc.

Thankfully you're on 6.4.7, so you don't need to do any iterative upgrades to get to the latest version!

Good luck!

Tummala August 5, 2016

Steps tested in UAT 2 times: 1) Back up the existing data 2) sql backups 3) shut down your JIRA applications 4) run the latest exe Upgrade wizard still keeps running ....no errors.. My one worry is that atlassian plugins.

reverted back uat to 6.4.7 from backup and followed the above steps again but this time I did remove the plugins /uninstall and ran the upgrade still same ...

do I have to upgrade to JIRA software 7.0 and then 7.1.9(latest)

Any thoughts?

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 5, 2016

Hey Tummala!

Regarding the plugins, what I would do is on the 6.4.7 instance, run a plugin update check to make sure that each plugin is compatible with 7.1.9, (either at its current version or with an update).  As long as the plugins are updated to a compatible version, upgrading should go smoothly.

And the only reason you'd need to upgrade to 7.0 first and then 7.1.9 is if you have an extremely out of date version of Agile, (if you're even using it).  Check this document, specifically this part:

The recommended, intermediary upgrade version is necessary due to upgrade tasks that were removed in JIRA Software 7.1.0.

As an alternative, you can upgrade to an intermediary version of JIRA Agile (any version from 6.4.5 to 6.7.12), which includes the upgrade tasks that were removed.

So if you're on JIRA Software 6.4.7 and any version of Agile beyond 6.4.5, you should be able to upgrade directly to 7.1.9 from 6.4.7.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events