How to transition linked issues in JIRA ?

Darapu Rajesh Babu May 26, 2016

There is a project A and project B. When I create a issue of B then simultaneously issue of A is created and getting cloned to B's issue.

My requirement is like when I transition the issue of A then automatically the corresponding B's issue should also transition. How to achieve this functionality ?

Please help me on this.

Thanks,

Rajesh

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2016

You'll need some code to do that.  A post-function on the transitions in A's workflow will need to scan the links to find the link to B and tell it to transition (including working out which transition to use, depending on its position in its own workflow and where you want it to go to)

There's a function for it in the JIRA Miscellaneous Workflow Extensions add-on, or you could do it with Script Runner, or your own code.

Hi Nic,

Thanks for your quick response.

Can JIRA Miscellaneous Workflow Extensions add-on solve my problem ?

If it can solve then does it support nfeed type custom fields ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2016

I don't know. 

It can "transition linked issues", quite flexibly, so in a broad sense it probably can solve your problem.  But all I know about your problem is that you want to transition a linked issue when an issue is transitioned.  So, if there are other complexities I don't know about, I don't know if it can deal with all of them.

I don't understand what nfeed fields have to do with transitioning issues.  They're not related.

Ok. Thank you so much Nic.

By the way can you tell me in detail how JIRA Miscellaneous Workflow Extensions add-on can be used. I mean what post-functions/ Conditions/ Validators should be used in the workflow to transition linked issues.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2016

I'd use the "transition linked issues" post-function.

Ok. So by using this post function I can transition linked issues. Let me try and reach out to you if I face any further issues.

Hi Nic,

I am facing some issue in transitioning linked issue by using the JIRA Miscellaneous Workflow Extensions plugin. I have added the post-function transition linked issues in Opened --> Moved to Triaged state. But its not working.

Can you please help me to solve this.

Suggest an answer