How to track tasks for people who don't use Jira

Mark Berthelemy December 11, 2016

Hi there,

I am managing a project that has a mixture of Jira users and non-users associated with it.

I'd like to be able to use JIRA as normal for the Jira users, but I also want to be able to track tasks assigned to the non-users (as I would in MS Project or similar).

Is there any way to have a person in Jira, to whom I can "assign" tasks, but without requiring them to be set up as an active Jira user?

We're using Atlassian Cloud, so can't use plugins that require a server instance.

Thanks,

Mark

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Volodymyr Krupach
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2016

Hi Mark,

The simplest manual solution is to add "Non JIRA user" text custom field and put names there. This should work for simple "manual" management.

0 votes
Heiko Gerlach December 12, 2016

Hi Mark, have a look at the JIRA Issue Collector https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/using-the-issue-collector-802592637.html

Visitors to your web site do not require a user account in JIRA to use the JIRA feedback form.

But be aware that when using it people might spam you.

Other option: Use the email catcher and assign all incomming issues/tickets to a dedicated user, see https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver070/creating-issues-and-comments-from-email-749383405.html

Cheers

Heiko

0 votes
Aylin Kohls
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2016

Hi Mark,

I don't know a way to assign issues to an user that is not active. But if your problem is licencing, you could create only one active user (let's call it External user) and assign to it all tasks

Regards!

Suggest an answer