How to track tasks for people who don't use Jira

Hi there,

I am managing a project that has a mixture of Jira users and non-users associated with it.

I'd like to be able to use JIRA as normal for the Jira users, but I also want to be able to track tasks assigned to the non-users (as I would in MS Project or similar).

Is there any way to have a person in Jira, to whom I can "assign" tasks, but without requiring them to be set up as an active Jira user?

We're using Atlassian Cloud, so can't use plugins that require a server instance.

Thanks,

Mark

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Accepted answer

Hi Mark,

The simplest manual solution is to add "Non JIRA user" text custom field and put names there. This should work for simple "manual" management.

Hi Mark,

I don't know a way to assign issues to an user that is not active. But if your problem is licencing, you could create only one active user (let's call it External user) and assign to it all tasks

Regards!

Hi Mark, have a look at the JIRA Issue Collector https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/using-the-issue-collector-802592637.html

Visitors to your web site do not require a user account in JIRA to use the JIRA feedback form.

But be aware that when using it people might spam you.

Other option: Use the email catcher and assign all incomming issues/tickets to a dedicated user, see https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver070/creating-issues-and-comments-from-email-749383405.html

Cheers

Heiko

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Asked Thursday in Jira Ops

I'm John Allspaw, Ask Me Anything about incident analysis and postmortems

I'm John Allspaw, co-founder of   Adaptive Capacity Labs, where we help teams use their incidents to learn and improve. We bring research-driven methods and approaches to drive effective inciden...

4,181 views 16 12
View question

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you