How to show status changes on two boards (Kanban/Scrum)?

Jonas Dohlmann September 14, 2016

I've created a simple Kanban board for my sales dept., so they can put in product ideas here. Afterwards, I (Product Manager) would like to specify the tasks and put them into our product development SCRUM board, where I can move the task to a Sprint when it should be developed. 

But I don't want to delete the task from the Kanban board that the sales dept, have access to but would like have the tasks status automatically changed when they change status (e.g. In progress) on the Scrum board. In that way, the sales dept. can always follow the progress of the tasks they put in without getting access to the whole backlog in the SCRUM board.

Is that possible? Or is it a No go according to SCRUM rules?

Looking forward to your answer smile

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 14, 2016

Ok, I think you've misunderstood what the boards are slightly.

Boards do not contain issues like projects do, there's no "delete task from Kanban board" or "add task to Scrum board".  Boards are best thought of as a view on to a set of issues. 

If you change the status of an issue (or fields, or anything else), that will be reflected where-ever you are seeing the issue.  It's a single item.  It doesn't matter if you are looking at it through a plain JIRA single-issue view, a board, the issue navigatore, another board, a gadget report, a third board, a service request etc etc etc.  The issue has a status.  That is shown in many places.

So, the answer to your question is "yes" really.  You can have many boards.  If someone changes an issue in one of them, the others will see it, because they're all a view of the same underlying issue.

Bart Meerveld
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2016

Exactly, you could even add a column to the kanban board that contains the first status of the scrumboard filter. Drag the issues to this column and they will disappear from your Kanban board and appear on your Scrumboard (if this is how your filters are set).

Jonas Dohlmann September 14, 2016

Thanks a lot, both of you - that made it more clear to me how to move forward smile

Suggest an answer