How to set default issue type when creating issue inline in JIRA Agile?

Markus Aittola March 10, 2016

When an issue is created inline in the JIRA agile Backlog view (little '+ Create' under a sprint or backlog), the default issue type seems to be the the first in alphabetical order, and not the default issue type of the project. Is there a way to change the default issue type?

As the backlog shows only an icon and not the issue type name inline, it's not easy or intuitive for users to change the issue type.

The current alphabetical default leads to situations, where backlogs are full of Bugs, when they should be full of Stories or Tasks or whatever issue type the team uses by default.

4 answers

1 vote
Rafael Sánchez-Moreno February 12, 2019

So someone has an answer for this issue? I am having the same problem :-(

0 votes
Mohammed Zubair Kazi June 20, 2021

After lots of searching i Got the answer , We need to reorder the Issue types for the Current Issue type scheme and it would default to based on the order.

Reorder the Issue Types for Current Scheme to place the Issue type you would like to display as default right on top of the order

0 votes
Igor Kosoy February 27, 2019

Same issue here. Changed default to story, but Jira always has Task as a preferred option. Frustrating... :(

PinkPhoenix October 13, 2019

For me, the default is Story and I want my default to be Task. So, can we trade problems?

0 votes
Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 10, 2016

Hi Markus,

you cannot specify which should be the default issue type. The create remembers you last choice of issue type and that is what is being used.

Cheers,

Peter T

Peter Haendler November 8, 2017

No, it doesn't. I only create stories under epics and when I am in the backlog and click create under an epic, it creates a task, not a story.

Suggest an answer