How to restrict users from assigning issues to users from other projects

APC-VEST Support Team June 8, 2016

I want to create two projects for external clients with complete separation between them. I have been able to find many pages containing explanation how to restrict users from accessing and seeing other projects, but I have yet to find anyone explaining how to configure JIRA so a user is limited to assign an issue only to users of same project.

Currently, a user of a project can assign issues to users that do not have access to project. In fact, in the assign options all the users are listed. This means that a client can see names of accounts of all other clients, which is not acceptable in my setup.

Thank you.

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 8, 2016

The assignee field is controlled by your permission scheme

This will say something like "assignable user: group X or role Y".  To restrict it to people "in the same project", you need to define what "in a project" is first, and then make that the definition of assignable user.

APC-VEST Support Team June 8, 2016

Thank you. That worked well. In particular, I liked that when I configured "Assignable User" to the role I use for external users, only users within that project were included (even though I reuse same role in other project).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 8, 2016

That's what roles are for smile  Consistent usage patterns, but the flexibility within each project.

1 vote
Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2016

Hi,

it is possible

Open "Custom fields"

2. Click "+Add Custom Field"

3. Create a "User Picker (single user) field.

4. After creating your field, find it on the "Custom Fields" screen, and choose "Configure" from the menu icon on the right.

5. You should now see a "User Filtering" option. This allows you to add a filter for project role or group

image2016-6-8 9:33:10.png

6. Setup your user filtering based on group of project Role, as usual the roles are the recommended way so that it can be reused between projects instead of creating new fields or field contexts

image2016-6-8 9:34:58.png

Please write back,

Peter T

Suggest an answer