How to require assignee for resolve workflow?

Dustin March 24, 2016

We do not require an assignee, by default new requests are unassigned.  Normally our Service Desk Agents assign ticket to themselves from the unassigned queue, update ticket as they work the issue, and once complete they resolve the ticket.  Currently if they forget to assign the ticket to themselves they are able to mark a ticket resolved while leaving assignee item blank.  Is it possible for me to require them to designate an assignee when they go to mark it resolved?

I would prefer to not require it to be resolved by assignee, as sometimes an agent will mark resolved on behalf of another agent, but I would like to require some assignee to be designated before it is marked resolved.  We are using JIRA Version: 6.3.10 and it is integrated with Service Desk.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2016

You can us a Workflow Validator to make sure there's an Assignee

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver070/advanced-workflow-configuration-749383189.html#Advancedworkflowconfiguration-validators

It prevents the transition from taking place unless there's an Assignee.

You could have a post-function to assign to the current user too when setting the issue In Progress.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver070/advanced-workflow-configuration-749383189.html#Advancedworkflowconfiguration-optionalpostfunctionsOptionalpostfunctions

Both of these options would do what you require.

Good luck!

Dustin March 24, 2016

Thanks Nicolas, I'll take a look at those options smile

Dustin March 24, 2016

I went to add a validator to the resolve workflow, but when I click "Add Validator" I only see two options available:  "Permission Validator" and "User Permission Validator"  Do I need a special plugin to have a field validator?

Dustin April 5, 2016

Update:  I ended up opting to just add "assign current user" as a post function in the workflow.  That was a fine solution for most cases, and for the rare case someone is closing on behalf of someone else they can just change assignee after marking resolved.  Thanks for your help.  smile

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events