How to reduce a large search result to just a list of the affected Jira projects.

Phillip H_ Blanton October 1, 2020

I have a large Jira query that returns about three-thousand tickets. I want JUST the list of projects that these tickets are in.

For example, assuming that these ticket ID's are in the list...

ABS-123, ABS-345, ABS-654, ABC-548, ABC-854, ARC-598, RFV-876, PPD-852, PPD-658, WRM-854, WRM-952, RED-3242, RED-8798

What I want is this...

ABS, ABC, ARC, RFV, PPD, WRM, RED

I could use the full project names instead of the ticket ID prefixes.

I'm looking for something like...

Select Distinct ProjectNames from (large jira query that returns thousands of tickets)

Any ideas?

2 answers

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 1, 2020

JQL in Jira is only going to be able to return to you a list of issues in Jira, not the specific projects those issues are in.  That said, since you appear to be using Jira Server, this is something that we should be able to attain from a SQL query of the database.

However in order to do that, we would really need to better understand the syntax of your JQL query here.  It might be possible to get a list of the projects/project names in question here, but only if we first understand the specific criteria in which JQL is selecting these issues.

Andy

0 votes
Niranjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 1, 2020

Hi @Phillip H_ Blanton ,

If you looking just for the project keys, you may export the issues to a CSV and do some manipulation to get the project keys. JQL is to return all the issues that matches the filter criteria and cannot return project keys.

Phillip H_ Blanton October 1, 2020

:-/ Thanks.

Yeah. that's what we're doing now, but I thought that maybe I could do it all in Jira.

Like Niranjan likes this

Suggest an answer