How to put name of an EPIC in the subject of the mail

Amit Anand May 2, 2020

All,

I need to put the name of an EPIC in the subject of the mail.Is there any way to implement same?

I would Preferred it could be done via automation rule as i don't want to go in VM template.

Thanks

Amit Anand

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sebastian Krzewiński
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2020

Hi @Amit Anand 

Based on this question in JSD built-in automation you have limit number of system fields that you can use. You can forget about custom fields.

I know that is available in Automation for JIRA add on. Unfortunately in lite (free) version sending emails is unavailable.

Regards,

Sebastian

Amit Anand May 3, 2020

Hi @Sebastian Krzewiński ,

Thanks for reply !

I don't see an option to add "EPIC in the subject of the mail" via commercial version of  automation rule.

Is there any way we could get this implemented via ScriptRunner?

Thanks

Amit Anand

Sebastian Krzewiński
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2020

Commercial version of automation - please use one of this smart values:

- {{issue.epic.Epic Link}}

- {{issue.epic.Epic Name}}

- {{issue.epic.key}}

- {{issue.customfield_id}}

More info: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/smart-values-general/

Using scriptrunner - please use values:

- $issue.customfield_id

amit anand May 6, 2020

To explain more i need to follow below task:

• When an epic link is updated in issue type task ,If the epic link is not empty then the summary of the task should be updated as follow new summary = [Epic Name] Current summary.

I was already referring https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/smart-values-general/

I am using below smart values:

{{issue.summary}}:Epic Link {{issue.epic.Epic Name}}

But i want this rule to be applicable only once and if someone change again the Epic link then it should not get triggered.

Any suggestion for this.

Thanks

Amit Anand

Sebastian Krzewiński
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2020

Hi @amit anand 

I think that you must use another field as a flag.

Rule should be like this:

- trigger

- if (flag customfield) is empty

- action update summary

- action update flag customfield

Regards,

Seba

amit anand May 8, 2020

Hi @Sebastian_Krzewiński ,

Thanks for update !

I am slight confuse about "flag customfield" so please find an attached screenshot of query which i prepared but this will re-trigger" if someone change again the Epic link "and i want to prevent this.

Let me know if some tweak can be done on this.

Thanks in advance.

Amit Anand

automation2.PNG

amit anand May 8, 2020

automation3.PNG

Sebastian Krzewiński
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 10, 2020

Hi @amit anand 

Thanks for screenshots. If you want to run it only one for each issue I will made 3 changes:

1. Choose custom field which will be used as a flag to mark action on issue

2. If module you must modify and add "AND Your_flag_customfield is not EMPTY"

3. In Edit issue field action add your CF and set value. It doesn't matter what value you will set, condition will be check if field is empty or not.

After these changes rule will be work like this:

- some changes are made on issue

- rule check if your issue pass conditions and also if issue is without flag

- if yes - then make all actions and mark issue as done (every other changes will not pass condition so rule will not run).

Seba

amit anand May 11, 2020

Hi @Sebastian Krzewiński

I have added flag as labels!=epic-name-in-summary.

and edit issue at last to set value.

Below JQL condition(query1:) is not giving any result:

query1: Project = xyz and issuetype in (Task) and "Epic Link" is not empty AND labels != epic-name-in-summary 

But if i use query2: Project = xyz and issuetype in (Task) and "Epic Link" is not empty AND labels = PROD then it give one issue with label as PROD.

Ideally query1 should also give result with labels name as PROD.

Is there some issue in query? 

automation4.PNG

Still issue pending.

Thanks

Amit Anand

amit anand May 12, 2020

I have updated JQL and now this JQL is working but if i change even assignee this is triggering because of issue updated rule.

Project = xyz and issuetype IN (Task) and "Epic Link" is not empty AND (labels NOT IN ("epic-name-in-summary") OR labels is EMPTY).

I am checking other method through script listener

Thanks a lot :)

Amit Anand

Sebastian Krzewiński
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2020

Hi @amit anand 

Please check Field value changed trigger.

amit anand May 15, 2020

Hi @Sebastian Krzewiński 

How could i get Name of Epic in below script ,as of now i am getting simple text value not link.

Dear ${issue.assignee?.displayName},
<br>

The ${issue.issueType.name} ${issue.key} with priority ${issue.priority?.name} has been assigned to you.
<br>
Description: $issue.description

<br>

Custom field value: <% out <<
issue.getCustomFieldValue( com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor.getCustomFieldManager().getCustomFieldObjectByName("Epic Link") )
%>
<br>

Thanks

Amit Anand

Sebastian Krzewiński
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2020

Hi @Amit Anand 

So sorry for lack of response.

To get epic name you should try this:

Custom field value: <% out << issue.getCustomFieldValue(com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor.getCustomFieldManager().getCustomFieldObjectByName("Epic Link")).getCustomFieldValue(com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor.getCustomFieldManager().getCustomFieldObjectByName("Epic Name"))%>
Like amit anand likes this
amit anand May 22, 2020

Thanks @Sebastian_Krzewiński

This worked for me :)

Thanks

Amit Anand

Sebastian Krzewiński
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 3, 2021

Hi @amit anand 

If this topic is resolved/closed please accept my answer :) this will mark this topic as done :)

Amit Anand January 3, 2021

Thanks @Sebastian Krzewiński ,

This was working fine !

Suggest an answer