How to prompt users to submit time estimations when closing bugs?

We use story points for most things, but for escalations we would like to keep track of the time spent on the work.  We always use bugs or tasks for escalations, but not all bugs or tasks are escalations (we might include some in our sprint).

This doesn't have to be a hard requirement - prompting users to submit times would be just fine.  But I would prefer not to do that to issues where it is not relevant (stories in a sprint, for example).

Is this possible?  

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Accepted answer

You can add a condition in the transition. If you want it to apply only to Bugs, you would need a workflow for bugs only and your usual workflow for the other issue types. When that workflow is created, you go to the transition when you want people to enter time and you add a condition asking for time to be logged. It will be a hard requirement. 

If you want more of a reminder, you can have a screen pop up when a bug is goes through a transition. To do that, you have to create a screen with the fields you want filled in and you add it to your transition. This is done by clicking "Edit" in the page of the transition and adding the screen you created in "Transition View".

Hope this helps.

Cool. I set up a screen with time tracking, and that seems to work nicely. I had to create a different workflow in order for that transition to only bring up that screen for bugs & tasks, but it seems to have worked.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted 13 hours ago in Jira Service Desk

Looking for anyone who has switched from Zendesk to Jira Service Desk

Hi Community! The Jira Service Desk marketing team is looking for customers who have successfully switched from Zendesk to Jira Service Desk!   We’d love to hear your thoughts on the pros and ...

18 views 0 1
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you