How to pevent "assignn to me" if already assigned?

Dustin April 11, 2016

We are using JIRA Version: 6.3.10 with Service Desk plugin 2.3.6.  We sometimes have multiple agents working the same queue, and occasionally run into a situation where two agents assign the same issue to themselves that they had both found to in unassigned status.  Inside JIRA record it ends up being recorded as the first agent assigning an unasigned issue to himself, and the second agent changing assignee from the 1st agent to him or herself.  This can cause duplication of effort that can be either a waste of time in best case, or has the potential to create a negative customer impact in worst case. 

What are the best options that we could implement that might allow us to avoid this issue?  For example, would it be possible to have a validation to confirm that issue is currently unassigned when using the "assign to me" link that would prevent using it if item is already assigned?

1 answer

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2016

I am guessing this is a rare scenario where both agents do it at the same time (or else they wouldn't have found the issue as unassigned), right?

If so, the first agent should get notification when the assignee is changed by the second agent, right? Can you check if the notifications are configured correctly?

Dustin April 12, 2016

Yes notification does go out to the first agent, but if the first agent does not check his email before he completes the task then the task gets done twice.  Some of the tasks may only take about 5 to 8 minutes to complete.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2016

It is a concurrent editing issue. I am not sure if there is an easy solution!

Suggest an answer