How to modify the length of the issue type name more than 60 characters(MS SQL)

Roy Lee October 18, 2017

Data Base use MS SQL Server 2015

The length of the issue type name must not exceed 60 characters,but I have system design requirements that need the length of the issue type name more than 120

2 answers

1 vote
Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2017

I have not seen this be able to be done.  If it was possible, it might be editing source code, but then your version upgrade path is shot.

I'd say you want to review the design requirements you've been given.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2017

Rewrite the whole of Jira and all its add-ons.

The limit is not coded in many places, so it would not be that hard to find and amend the code that stops people entering it, but you are going to need to check every place where it might be used for assumptions, both  the code that reads it and how a longer field will affect the UI

I would talk to the people who have given you broken requirements.  There's a clue in the name of the field - "summary".  It should be short and give the reader a rough idea.  Many people would argue that 60 characters is too long, not too short.  You should be telling the people with this "requirement" that they are wrong.

Suggest an answer