How to migrate some users from JIRA internal directory to LDAP / AD

Adrian Stephen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 12, 2016

1 answer

0 votes
Adrian Stephen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 12, 2016

The suggestion provided on this page is not supported by Atlassian Support.

@Taryck BENSIALI suggested these steps :

• Set or reset the password of at least One Admin in the Internal Directory (to be sure you could get acces after import)
  •  Export XML

1) import file as it without any change (ony the required. in my cas date fix)
2) configure MS AD
3) sync user
4) Export XML
5) compare the 2 XML and get new entries :

• <User> <ApplicationUser> <UserAttribute> <Directory ??>

6) edit XML File imported in step 1) and :

• replace username (warning CASE SENSITIVE) found <ApplicationUser from File value to AD value found in file exported in step 4.
    Example : "myInternalUser" will be replaced by "AD-001aF"
    Note : char " at beginnning and end is part of the replacement.
  • do this for each user. You could also make some user fusion 2 source user to 1 target user
  • Add MS AD configuration markup (<DIRECTORY< but i'm not sure I do not have the file to check)
  • Leave at least one admin user in internal directory MANDATORY
  • Remove <User> <ApplicationUSer <UserAttribute ect.. markup that "have been migrated to MSAD" they should have DirectoryID="1"
  • Add <User> <ApplicationUSer <UserAttribute ect.. markup that "have been migrated to MSAD" source is exported file in step 4 (so made by synchronisation of MS AD Directory)
  • Optional Copy password (in credentialxxx field of User Markup) of a knowed user's password of internal directory to all admin user that still be in the internal directory (DirectoryId="1") in order to be sure to get access to JIRA after Import (I've locked out the first time and need MS SQL action to recover)

7) Import the modified File

8) Logon as admin

9) make integrity check and other check (may be on connection with other user)

10) Reopen to user.

information It's very highly recommended to try this before doing it live.
User substitution strings should be prepared to gain time, reduce downtime and reduce risks (typo errors)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events