How to mark an issue as done for a specific Kanban column

Stefan Winterfeldt January 27, 2017

Hi, our team uses JIRA Agile to visualize our Kanban process, we have lots of columns, but for brevity let's assume that there are "Backlog", "Implementation", "Review" and "Done". Back when we used a paper Kanban board a developer would mark an issue that he implemented with a green sticker, so that the other devs could see which issues they could pull into the next column (Review). What would be the best way to do this in JIRA Agile? Flagging the issues is not really an option since we use flags to show that there is a problem with an issue.

We have tried the following:

• An additional "Implementation done" column, but that creates an unwanted buffer, increases the total WIP-Limit and makes the board way bigger that necessary if you have many columns already.
  • A Custom "Kanban step done" field on the issues, but that was complicated to set (edit the issue, update the field, save the issue) and since custom fields cannot be updated by post functions we had to undo all that manually once an issue was pulled into the next column.
  • (Our current solution) An extra "Kanban step done" resolution which we used like the custom field. It has the advantage that the resolution can automatically be reset by a post function when the issue is pulled into the next column, but resolving an issue multiple times half-way through the process feels wrong.

At this point, I guess the answer is either something simple that we all have overlooked or that functionality just doesn't exist in JIRA Agile, which would be strange. 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Sten Sundelin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 27, 2017

Why would the developer not push the issue to the "Review" column/status as soon as it is ready for Review, i.e. "implementation done"? It now sits in that queue, right?

If you need an extra status, how about "Waiting on Review" and map that to the same 'Review' column as "Review in Progress"? 

Stefan Winterfeldt January 27, 2017

Pushing to the next Column would be against the Kanban principle of pulling your work and would only move the problem one step further.

However, using two statuses in the same column is a rellay good idea that I hadn't thought about yet. I'll talk to my team and try it on Monday, thanks.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events