How to make aggregation in Jira ?

Florian July 26, 2016

Hi,

In JIRA, i need to aggregate dimensions and to apply specific methods to measures (which is not curently supported by the commercial add-on Report ). For example, i want to display all my project and the time spent on these projects. The time spent should be the sum of the time spent on each issues of the project.

According to me there is two ways of doing it:

_ the first is to fetch the lists of all issues and to perform the aggregation on the server (which is clearly not the best idea because Jira simply isn't designed for massive data dumps).

_ the second is to use OfBizDelegator to get a Connection in order to perform a sql request . (with a group by clause). But this seems decried by some develpers.

So my question is : what methods should i pick ?

Thanks in advance.

2 answers

1 vote
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 26, 2016

You might want to have a look at these addons:

• EazyBI
  • Time Reports

Robert Massaioli _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 26, 2016

There are more add-ons as that as well. But JIRA will not provide you with aggregation tools. See this past answer: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/88372

Florian July 26, 2016

Thank you for your answer, now i get it. JIRA don't propose aggregation tools or anything close to a group by clause. Still it's bothering me, why not ? It's a really common fonctionality. I searched around and could not find any satisfying answer. Do you have any idea why?

Thanks in advance.

Robert Massaioli _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 27, 2016

I don't actually know. If I was to guess then I would say: performance reasons. I imagine doing aggregations is hard to make efficient.

This is a question better directed at the JIRA team.

0 votes
Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2016

You should be able to do this with the Better Excel Plugin:

1. Dump the data to a worksheet and use pivot tables for aggregation (and let Excel do the heavy lifting)
  2. Consider using pivot charts to visualize the aggregation
  3. If you wanted to get the input data directly from the database, instead of accessing issue fields, then write a Groovy script that connects to the database, run your query and convert the result set to Excel cells

You have insane flexibility with these techniques:

4783ad58-c36e-4b3e-8d3b-ce241f724ded.png

Suggest an answer