How to make a required field

Maggie Stearns June 6, 2016

When transitioning from one state to another (For example from "In Progress" to "Resolved"), I have a "Resolve Issue" screen. I would like one of the custom fields on that screen to be required.  

My choices for implementation appear to be these two choices:

1. Create a condition on the transition that prevents transitioning if that field is not populated.
  2. Create a validator that gives an error if that field is not populated.

I don't like #1 because the user will not necessarily understand why the "Resolve" transition button does not appear for them. #2 is OK, but then the users are asking why there is no red asterisk next to those required fields when they enter the screen. I don't want to make them required in the field scheme since they are not required until this point in the workflow.

Any other possible ways to implement this?

4 answers

3 votes
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2016

There are add-ons that allow you to make the fields required using approach #2 and have a red asterisk.

You can do that with:

I would recommend Script Runner as it allows virtually any kind of customisations in your JIRA instance

0 votes
LukasG June 15, 2016

Hello Maggie,

I would recommend to use the Mandatory Field Validator of our Add-On "Workflow Essentials for JIRA". See: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/de.codecentric.jira.wes/server/overview

Otherwise you could use "Script Runner" and "JIRA Suites Utilities" which are bit more complicated to setup. 

Best regards,

Lukas 

0 votes
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2016

I'm afraid you'd have to code an add-on to get something like that. Validators can't have an asterisk in the transition screen, since the actual call to the transition hasn't happened yet, therefore the screen cannot "know" that the transition is valid or not.

#2 is really your best option there. Although there's no red asterisk, when you try to submit the form there will be a customizable red message. Users will get used to it soon enough in my experience.

Erik Petzold June 15, 2016

The already mentioned Workflow Essentials for JIRA https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/de.codecentric.jira.wes/server/overview can show red asterisk on the transition screen

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2016

I don't believe any of the plug-ins that will make a field required on a transition puts the asterisk next to the field. You can get around it by including the asterisk in the field name if it really bothers your users. The lira-suite-utilities plug-in will pop a message it is required if they didn't fill it in when clicking to complete the transition. I've never had much push back from the users as long as they are told in training about the behavior. 

Erik Petzold June 15, 2016

The already mentioned Workflow Essentials for JIRA https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/de.codecentric.jira.wes/server/overview can show red asterisk on the transition screen

Suggest an answer