How to limit a user to not see comments and tasks

Mark Kettle June 8, 2016

I have created an external role and user. I added the user to the role, as an observer. This is good. They are limited only to the project and only to JIRA. However, we wanted to allow the software developers to continue to develop and communicate un-fettered wrt tasks and comments (comments in defects, stories, etc.). To do this, we want to limit the ability for the external user to see the tasks or comments. So far, all that we can do, is make them an observer, but cannot limit them further.

4 answers

0 votes
Arun_Thundyill_Saseendran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2016

As per the restrictions of JIRA OnDemand, many plugins cannot be installed. Script runner is one such plugin which does not have the cloud version. However, there is a request raised to bundle script runner with the JIRA onDemand, so please go and vote for this issue and watch it to get the latest updates.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-41869

To get to know the list of Add-ons that are available on JIRA onDemand via Atlassian Connect, you check this page.

0 votes
Mark Kettle June 9, 2016

Thank you Mahesh. When I investigate using the script runner plugin, it seems to only be available for the server version. Since I'm using the cloud version, this option does not seem viable.

Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2016

My pleasure! Let me know if you find any other solution for this, being a cloud instance. I am curious. smile

0 votes
Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 8, 2016

Hope, you have script runner plugin. Navigate to JIRA Administration -> Add ons -> Behavior.

Add a new field behavior and configure to your project and issue type. Create a condition for the field Comments and set it to hidden for the required users.

0 votes
Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 8, 2016

A workaround would be clicking the drop down 'Viewable to all users' and changing to whatever groups you need. So that, the comment will be restricted to such users, being confidential. 

However, there is no direct solution for restricting the view access of observers on all comments and tasks. The above one is just a workaround since, the developers can't do this every time.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events