How to import/integrate LDAP groups with JIRA Groups

Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2016

Hi,

I need to implement an internal group in JIRA linked to LDAP group. 
For e.g. I have 'ABC', 'DEF', 'GHI', groups in LDAP.

I want to integrate them in a JIRA Group.
i.e ABC + DEF + GHI = new JIRA  group. 

many thanks,
Tayyab 

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2016

JIRA doesn't do nested groups - you'll need to manually add all the users from each group into your internal group.

It does read them and flatten them though, so if you created a nested LDAP group, you'd be ok (In LDAP, have a group called all-of-them, which just contains ABC, DEF and GHI.  JIRA will see a group called all-of-them, with all the users from all three groups in it)

Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2016

If I create a group in LDAP with ABC, DEF, GHI. and make a single group out of them. 
How would I integrate that group with JIRA group?  

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2016

It'll be presented to JIRA as a group like the others. 

Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 9, 2016

So I should filter out the users by writing something in "User Object Filter" in the User Scheme Settings right? 

I'm not much aware of LDAP conventions and how to use filters, but I guess you can i would have to do something with user object filter, am i right? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 9, 2016

My understanding of LDAP filters is pretty basic too, but yes, you can do things in JIRA with filters.  I've only ever used simple ones like "only import users and groups from an OU=xyz", but that should do the job for you.

Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 10, 2016

Okay thanks, I'm looking into it. 

Btw there's an option you can turn on to enable nested groups in jira.
We have that turned on for us 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 10, 2016

That's to tell JIRA that the directory you are using has nested groups.  You'll need it turned on or your all-of-them group will appear to be empty!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events