• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to hide Epics from Kanban view?

I switched from Scrum to Kanban view and already had some Epics. They're now displayed in the To-Do lane as moveable blocks and don't want Epics to be displayed on the board. The stories are already displaying in which Epic they are by the displayed label and I want to keep that.

How do I hide those Epics from being on my Kanban board?

7 answers

What you're looking for is the type field in JQL

To filter out epics: 

project = PROJECTNAME AND type != Epic ORDER BY Rank ASC 

2 votes

You can enable the Epics panel in your board configuration. This will allow the epics to be displayed, but not as a card (ticket) on the board.

And in order for this option to show up, you need to enable the Kanban backlog, and this is done by moving a status to the backlog (in the example below, I added "Requirements needed" to the backlog, since I don't need to show those tickets in the board.

Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 2.32.42 PM.png

This option, for some reason is not available for our instance of JIRA. Is this something that has to be enabled somewhere else?

Erick, I was unable to see the option as well. I took an item from the Backlog column and dragged it into the Kanban Backlog. When I did this the button for "Epics Panel" became enabled.

I found the directions here: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/configure-columns/#Enabling-the-Kanban-backlog

The problem of using the Filter (!=Epic) is when you need to base the Swimlanes on Epics, .....

no information ......

When i do this by changing the filter , i am not able to see the epics in the backlog too , is there a way to find them

me too! were you able to find a workaround for this @Niranjan ?

No - I believe the backlog you are looking at is viewed through the same filter as your board. If you filter out epics in the board, you filter them out of the backlog too.

To the best of my knowledge you need to amend the filter, or create a separate board.

But I note in our Jira Cloud account, in Board Settings >> Columns there is a toggle as follows:

Epics panel

Display epics in a panel in the backlog, and not as cards on the board

So a way to handle this is don't filter out epics from your board, and then do enable that toggle so your epics are in your sidebar rather than listed in your backlog.

Is this toggle a feature on a specific version of Jira Cloud? 

But like this i still need the filter for the Kanban view right? 

You can modify the board's filter to exclude Epics. What appears on the board is determined by the filter.

Could you be more specific where to find that filter or steps to apply that filter?

When you go to Boards / Configure, under the General tab, you'll see the filter. Changing and editing the filter is all covered in the doc: https://confluence.atlassian.com/agile/jira-agile-user-s-guide/configuring-a-board/configuring-filters

Great! That's all I wanted to do.

Thx it's been bothering me for a while and this fixed it.

Here is the JQL filter I used

project = <my project> AND ((issuetype = Epic AND status != Done) OR (issuetype != Epic)) ORDER BY Rank ASC

Had this same problem. Edit filter for board and add issuetype != Epic :) 

You should be able to turn on Epic Panel switch on Board Settings / Columns, that will not only enable Epic Panel on side of Backlog but hide Epics at all on Board view.

Screen Shot 2020-05-25 at 10.18.00 AM.png

Hmm... there is no such switch in my JIRA Cloud? Maybe part of a beta programme?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Core

How to manage many similar workflows?

I have multiple projects that use variations of the same base workflow. The variations depend on the requirements of the project or issue type. The variations mostly come in the form of new statuses ...

4,248 views 12 5
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you