How to handle plugin upgrades during JIRA Upgrade

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2017

Hi All

I have read through the JIRA Upgrade documentation but no where it is explicitly mentioned how we should handle the upgrade of plugin versions during an upgrade. 

I have tried three options, let me know which one is preferable.

Option 1:  Before you start upgrade, shut down JIRA and replace the old incompatible plugins with the new compatible plugins. Then proceed with Upgrade. 

Option 2: Before you start upgrade, shut down JIRA and delete the old incompatible plugins. Proceed with Upgrade. After add the new compatible plugins through the UI.

Option 3: Proceed with upgrade with the incompatible plugins. Replace the plugins with compatible ones after the upgrade. This option has the drawback that it generates millions of lines of errors during upgrade and can mask any real issue.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Sten Sundelin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2017

I would go with option 1 whenever possible. If there are add-ons that are not available to upgrade to a compatible version until after the general JIRA upgrade, do it after the upgrade but before you allow general users to log in again. You can do this by modifying the group required for users to be able to log in to be an administrators group during the upgrade.

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 17, 2017

Thanks Sten for the response.

Suggest an answer