How to handle multiple date formats in JIRA Core?

scott.bryant November 29, 2017

Good morning,

We are using JIRA Core Server and we have run into an issue where we have user's distributed throughout the world. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to handle the mm-dd-yyyy format in the US VS the dd-mm-yyyy format outside of the US?

Thanks,

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 30, 2017

Personally I would recommend using the format of day-MonthName-year, in the format of d/MMM/yyyy or 10/Oct/2017.  I find this kind of format tends to be much more clear for users for both formats.  This way there is no ambiguity as to which field is day and which is month. 

Jira will let you customize the dates to all appear in this format.  I would recommend the guide Changing the Due Date Input Format.   By changing this value here, you can set the format as to how Jira expects those dates to be input.   However immediately after you make changes here, I would also recommend updating the Look and Feel page in Jira in order to also make sure that these dates appear in the same consistent format.   Changing on section without the other will tend to cause problems.

Cheers,
Andy

Suggest an answer